ECO-THAW is a natural mineral based liquid and semi dry product designed to melt ice and snow with very low corrosion.
This revolutionary, environmentally friendly, non-toxic liquid is designed to be mixed with existing salt or applied on its own directly to road surfaces, bridges, highways, parking lots and walkways for anti and de-icing purposes. It’s non-corrosive characteristics when applied to chlorides not only melts ice but also acts as a corrosion inhibitor.
ECO-THAW Corrosion Comparison to Salt
Note the corrosion in figure 1 using traditional road salt for only ONE SEASON.
While figure 2 shows less corrosion after a period of THREE TIMES that using ECO-THAW.
|figure 1||figure 2|
|SALT After ONE SEASON||ECO-THAW After 3 SEASONS|
- Saves money, time and labour by reducing the need for salt by 20-50%
- Proven Ice melting capability below -32°C (-25°F)
- Biodegradable, safe for people, vegetation and animals
- Non-toxic, making it safe for workers to handle
- Less corrosive on roads and equipment
- Prevents sand and/or salt stockpiles from freezing
- Improves melting capacity when treated on salt
- Can reduce overall annual snow/ice control budget by as much as 40%
- By making roads safer, ECO-THAW saves lives!
ECO-THAW Extends life & Reduces Maintenance
|New York State Route 31 Bridge||New York State Route 237 Bridge|
ECO-THAW Compared to Other De-Icers
|ECO-THAW™||Liquid Magnesium Chloride||Liquid Calcium Chloride||Granular Rock Salt|
|Effectiveness to below -32°C||Excellent||Excellent||Excellent||Does not work below -10°C|
|Corrosiveness to equipment||Anti-corrosive||Medium||High||High|
|Treated stock pile retention||Excellent||Poor||Poor||Not Applicable|
|Anti-icing road retention||Excellent||Good||Good||Not Applicable|
|Visible residue||Brownish colour, fast drying||Clear colour, medium drying||Oily, greasy residue, medium drying||Slushy white staining|
|Worker/ Public handling safety||Excellent||Good||Poor||Fair|
|Overall cost effectiveness||Excellent||Fair||Fair||Poor|
|Dilution of Solution||Excellent||Fair||Fair||Not Applicable|
|Percentage of Chlorides||Low||High||High||High|
Before the introduction of ECO-THAW into the de-icing market, the optimum liquid de-icer was liquid Magnesium Chloride. This de-icer is less harmful to the environment than Sodium or Calcium Chloride, and it continues to melt ice down to extremely low temperatures. Although it was the best choice of the three, it still had a number of problems.
- It was not a good anti-icer, as it could be easily washed from the road by the winter precipitation.
- When used as an on board pre-wetting agent, Magnesium Chloride could cause corrosion problems with some equipment.
- It was not good for stockpile anti-freezing treatments because it did not have the “stickiness” quality and would run out of the sand or salt pile shortly after treatment.
ECO-THAW as an Additive to Liquid Salt Brine Increases Satisfaction
- The addition of the extra de-icing solids, and the inherent sticky nature of ECO-THAW, dramatically increases the anti-icing abilities of Magnesium Chloride.
- Because of ECO-THAW’s anti-corrosive properties, equipment stays free of corrosion up to 5 times longer.
- The addition of ECO-THAW to stockpile treatments ensures the product stays in the stockpile and not all over your yard.
ECO-THAW Outperforms Alternative Liquid De-Icers
This diagram illustrates how an ECO-THAW blend outperforms all other liquid de-icers. Clearly shown, is how the extra de-icing solids available in the ECO-THAW blend, allows for longer de-icing at lower temperatures, for a greater length of time.
Salt Brine with no ECO-THAW added is Not a Suitable Alternative
A number of regions have implemented salt brine into their winter season strategies hoping for a reduction in cost. Unfortunately, there are a number of problems with this de-icer.
- Corrosion, Sodium Chloride is highly corrosive and damages equipment, vegetation and roadways.
- Temperature, Salt brine will not work on very cold winter days.
- As with Magnesium or Calcium Chlorides these brines are a poor anti-icer, diluted out quickly by the winter precipitation.
ECO-THAW as an Additive to Salt Brine
- Dramatically decreasing the rate of corrosion of salt brine.
- Increasing the effective temperature of the salt brine by up to 50%.
- Increasing the available anti-icing solids, allowing more time before dilution.
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
|1.||Identification of Preparation/Company|
|Trade nameChemical nameSynonymsSuppliers||ECO-THAW|
|Innovative Global Products Ltd.|
|Greys Green Business Centre|
|Henley on Thames|
|Oxon RG9 4QG|
|Telephone: +44 (0) 1491 628700|
|Fax: +44 (0)1491 629839|
All natural liquid product
|Health||According to experience this product in not harmful to health|
|4.||First Aid Measures|
|General Information||Remove all contaminated clothing immediately, to be disposed of or washed before reuse.|
|Inhalation||No special measures necessary.|
|Skin Contact||No special measures necessary.|
|Eye Contact||Rinse immediately with plenty of water, until irritation subsides.|
|Ingestion||No special measures necessary.|
|5.||Fire Fighting Measures|
|Extinguishing media||To suit local surroundings, (eg: water, carbon dioxide, foam, chemical powder).|
|Special Exposure Hazard||Decomposition products released in a fire should be considered as harmful.|
|Personal Protective Equipment||Decomposition products released in a fire should be considered as harmful.|
|Large Spillage||Dam and take up with absorbent material, eg: sand, sawdustand dispose of as prescribed.|
|Small Spillage||Rinse away with plenty of water observing environmental requirements. Do not allow to get into waste or waterways; if this occurs, inform the relevant authority at once.|
|7.||Handling and Storage|
|Advice on safe handling||Handle in accordance with good hygiene and safe practice.|
|Advice on protection against fire||The product is non-flammable, but may degrade if heated above 60°C.|
|Storage Conditions||Store in dry ventilated drums at ambient temperature.|
|8.||Exposure Limits/Personal Protective Equipment|
|Exposure limits||There are no occupational exposure limits available. However, for tank entry, adhere to procedures for working in confined spaces.|
|Engineering Control||Ensure adequate ventilation of the working area.|
|Personal Protection||Observe normal safety standards for handling chemicals. Wear PPE appropriate for the task eg: gloves, safety goggles, appropriate overalls.|
|9.||Chemicals and Physical Properties|
|Auto Ignition Temp||n/a|
|Solubility||Miscible in water.|
|Description||Dark brown, viscous liquid.|
|10.||Stability and Reactivity|
|Stability||The product is stable if heated as prescribed. However if diluted below 30% fermentation may occur with a small expansion in volume (addition of proprionic acid to decrease pH to <4.5 will prevent fermentation.|
|Thermal Decomposition||>60°C. Also the product is combustible after prolonged exposure to direct heat above 45°C.|
|Materials to Avoid||The product is not compatible with strong acids.|
|Conditions to Avoid||Avoid strong direct heat.|
|Hazardous Decomposition Products||n/a|
|Acute Toxicity||No acute toxicological data are available.|
|LD50 rat (oral): n/a|
|LD50 rat (dermal): n/a|
|Mucous membrane compatibility||n/a|
|Further Information||The product is all natural experience and is considered to be non hazardous. May cause sensitization by skin contact|
|Ecotoxicology||No data is available|
|Futher Information||The product has a high biochemical oxygen demand.|
|13||Spillage and Disposal|
|Advice on disposal||In accordance with national and local authority regulations eg: as household waste, incineration or after contacting the supplier.|
|United Nations Number||Not classified.|
|Packing Group||Not classified.|
|IMDG Group||Not classified.|
|Marine Pollutant||Not marked as a marine pollutant.|
|Proper shipping name||ECO-THAW|
|In accordance with the Chemicals (Hazard Information and Packaging for Supply) Regulations (CHIP 97) the product in not classified.
UK Regulatory References
The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations 1994.
Chemicals (Hazard Information and Packaging for Supply) Regulations (CHIP 97).
|This safety data sheet is offered for your information, consideration and investigation. It provides no warranties; either expressed or implied, and assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or completeness contained herein. Innovative Global Products Ltd shall not be held liable for any damage resulting from handling or from contact with the above product.|